Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Berlin Calling

1. What do drugs mean to Ickarus?

I almost feel like Ickarus believes that drugs are just a necessity in his life. They allow him to work harder and for longer allowing him to be more creative. He has been on drugs for such a long time that they have become just an average part of his life.

 2. When, why, and how are his fans taking drugs, and which drugs do they take?
 
From what I recall his fans have been shown smoking weed, shooting up heroin, and snorting cocaine. A lot of the time these fans are shown doing it during and after he performs.
 
3. While we can see that his drug habits get him ill and into psychosis, and while we witness his relapse and inability to work successfully, why does the subculture Ickarus belongs to focus on drugs 
 I would have to assume that many of them are on drugs just for the feeling that they get when they are high. They enjoy feeling like they are on top of the world and feel like they can perform better. In Ickarus's case he feels like he can be more creative whilst on drugs. 
 
4. Compare the standards you know from your home society with the people you see depicted in this movie. Which are the stark differences and contrasts? 
 This movie almost makes it seem like it is normal for them to be doing these drugs. They are doing them out in public, albeit they are in slimy run down areas. In the US I don't think anyone would find it normal to just start shooting up in a public space.
 
5.  Germany is considered a strong industrial nation the world over. Do you think that the youth culture as depicted here could change that? How about work ethics of Ickarus and of Alice, the label director who fires and then resigns him?
 I do not think that the culture depicted in this film could change that. If anything they add to the idea. They need suppliers and the suppliers have a demand for their product. In a morbid sense they are promoting capitalism with their purchases. 
Alice seems like she worries about Ickarus and cares about him as a person. She is concerned about his well being and sees that he needs to change.
  
Question 6: Which similar “cult movies” of US origin have you seen, if any?
I don't know if you could compare the two, but in my mind this movie reminds me of A Clockwork Orange (movie, not the book). We see a man going through a dramatic change in his life, but be it for better or for worse?
 I like the movie so far. It is a strange trip through the mind of a man that is addicted to drugs and uses them to try and better his career. It is a nice change from other movies about drug use that just try and force into your mind that drugs are bad and you should hate them. It has an interesting plot and I feel like the director actually cared about the movie he was making. It intrigues me how the writer could have came up with the movie. I also love the dramatic change that we get to see the main character go through. I only hope that this movie does not end in tragedy, I hope Ickarus achieves some form of redemption. I have become attached to Ickarus as a character. We can also see how the German culture is so different from American culture. The use of drugs in public areas in today's US would not be okay in the least. We get to see how they affect himself, his fans, and even some of his friends. I would recommend this movie to others and I am probably going to go out and buy a copy for myself.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment